Friday, July 18, 2008

How to add change password option in OWA


I liked the way I wrote my last post. . It should start with something about me and then about the work .. This gives those people who know me a reason to read the blog who have nothing to do with AD / Exchange or even technology .. :)

Today one of my Best Friend called and asked .. What is the your definition of achievement .. I joked that .. I have moved from roti to idli .. that is an achievement .. But if I really think .. That is what it is actually .. I came here to make my life better .. Lot of things that I left behind .. roti is also one of them ..

I wonder .. how can 2 words on your signature or on the business card make you leave friends / family / good food / luxury / place where you spent your childhood ..

Idli has been my staple diet .. and the first time I ordered parota thinking it was parantha .. It was 11 PM and I had to eat it as I had no choice .. @11 PM .. It is like a curfew in chennai ..
Sangeetha my GF as I call it has been feeding me from the time I have been here .. Don't jump to conclusions ... Sangeetha is a resturant near my office .. I have tried all Dosa's / Idli's and Vada @ Sangeetha .. I don't eat stuff if I can't pronounce the name .. I wish I had a similar choice with people .. ;)

*** Work ***

When I had to implement the change password option in OWA in my company .. I strugglled a bit .. as there was no good documentation any where . Not even google helped .. It has stuff here and there .. So I decided to put all at one place ..
Note : This will work for BE - FE - ISA setup

The Virtual Directory is created on the FE server and the change password option is enabled on the BE as the option is loaded in OWA through the BE server and not FE. Also, We need to modify the rule on ISA for ISA to allow access to the Virtual Directory on FE to remote users.

The following steps have to be done on all the FE servers or servers where you have the OWA site running on IIS.


  1. Log on to the Front End server.

  2. Click Start All Programs Administrative Tools Internet Services Manager.

  3. Expand Local Computer Web Sites.

  4. Right-click the OWA Web Site and point to New, then click Virtual Directory.

  5. The Virtual Directory Creation Wizard is launched. Click Next.

  6. In the Virtual Directory Creation Wizard, type IISADMPWD in the Alias box, then click Next.

  7. You now need to specify the directory path. Type C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\iisadmpwd ,then click Next.

  8. Verify that only the Read and Run scripts (such as ASP) check boxes are set.

  9. Click Next and then Finish.

  10. Right-click the IISADMPWD virtual directory, then select Properties.

  11. On the Virtual Directory tab, ExchangeApplicationPool should be selected under Application Pool.

  12. Select the Directory Security tab, and then under Authentication and access control, click Edit.

  13. Put a check mark in the Basic Authentication box.

  14. Click Yes. On the IIS Manager popup.

  15. Under Default Domain type your <> not the FQDN.

  16. Click OK twice and close the IIS Manager.

Now lets move to the BE servers .. This is easy ..



  1. Open Regedit

  2. Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

  3. Change the value of DisablePassword REG_DWORD from 1 to 0.

  4. Close the registry editor.

  5. Restart IIS.

Last thing .. We should go to the ISA server.



  1. Log on to the ISA server.

  2. Navigate to Firewall Policy.

  3. On the right side pane, Right Click on OWA Publishing Rule and Click Properties.

  4. Click the Paths tab and hit the ADD button.

  5. Type /IISADMPWD/* in the box and Click OK.

  6. Click OK and Click Apply to commit the change on ISA.

No comments: