Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How to remove a specific user from Mailbox Manager Policy

I am back after a looong time .. There has been a lot of work as I have moved to a new place .. Geographically this is a city .. But it is not more than a town . I travel the same road to office everyday and visit my sisters place ( Not too far either ) and I cant count my Boss's place as we stay on the same road. . So what I call as the town has shrunk to a village .. ;)

Life has changed a lot in the last 6 months .. Got promoted professionally and personally .. I had a lot of friends / family back home ( The place which is a city and also qualifies to be called a Metro ) .. But here life is restricted to people whom I can count on the fingers of my left hand. I interact with more people on email than personally .. :)

I could have written more but I vomitted my frustration on my friend / mentor .. Divy .. ( Just got off the call ) .. So lets get back to work ..

As the title says ... this is a request that came today from an executive to make sure the deleted items policy does not affect a particular user. I had done this long time back .. but forgot the schema change .. So I want to save it for my own good as well as for other's who might need it.

I will try to keep it as simple as possible :
Mailbox Manager Policies are uniquely identified by their GUID {3B6813EC-CE89-42BA-9442-D87D4AA30DBC}. E-mail Address Policies have their own GUID of {26491CFC-9E50-4857-861B-0CB8DF22B5D7}.

So inorder to exclude a user we need to use adsiedit.msc and drill down to the properties of the user. One of the attributes will read : msExchPoliciesIncluded. Remove the GUID values that is set. Then add the GUID values to the attribute : msExchPoliciesExcluded

Attribute Name : msExchPoliciesExcluded
Attribute Value :
{3B6813EC-CE89-42BA-9442-D87D4AA30DBC}
{26491CFC-9E50-4857-861B-0CB8DF22B5D7}

Explanation : msExchPoliciesIncluded has values set as GUID,GUID. Like GUID,{3B6813EC-CE89-42BA-9442-D87D4AA30DBC} for a mailbox manager policy and / or GUID,{26491CFC-9E50-4857-861B-0CB8DF22B5D7} for an email address policy. The 1st GUID specifies the actual policy and the 2nd part is the default GUID.
So what actually we did was to remove all the policies and that can be applied and also adding the default GUID's to the exclusions. Because if we dont add to exclusions and just remove from inclusions .. it will be populated again by RUS.

Time to get breakfast otherwise the line will be too long .. The next topic will be posted soon .. I promise the delay will not be as long as it was for this one .. :)

No comments: